Kitchens Are Not The Only Place Fires Start

U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated average of 355, 400 home structure fires per year. While home fires are more likely to start in the kitchen than any other room in the home, the second leading cause of home fires are heating sources like wood stoves. We at Faithful Disaster Restoration recommend you inspect your Billings home for potential problems now, before you feel the heat. 

Chimneys And Fireplaces

Dirty chimneys pose a fire hazard; have your chimney inspected annually by the Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) – certified chimney sweep. Hire a professional to clean and repair any loose bricks or broken hardware in the chimney before the cold months. Structural problems can cause temperatures to burn too high. Chimney liners that are loose can cause burning embers to escape to combustible areas in walls, attics and roofs.

Rugs, tapestries and other fabrics that are too close to the fireplace can easily ignite. Prevent this with a spark screen in front of the fireplace. Use only seasoned wood only; never burn green or damp wood, cardboard boxes, wrapping paper, trash or trees in your fireplace—these can all spark chimney fires.

Heating Equipment

Electrical problems are a leading HVAC fire hazard. As connections age, they often become loose, leading to a greater power exertion from the furnace. Burnt wires can increase the chance of a furnace fire. Have your furnace inspected annually by a qualified technician; if you notice smoke or burning smells coming from your gas furnace, have your HVAC technician check your electrical immediately. 

Keep the space around your unit free from combustible materials. If you have boxes, crates, brooms, cleaning supplies resting against your furnace, move them immediately. A crowded furnace is a huge furnace danger that can cause your HVAC to catch fire.

Space heaters are really dangerous. Inspect for poor condition. Faulty wiring on electrical heaters can cause an electrical fire. Improperly ventilated kerosene units can cause carbon monoxide poisoning.  Any fabrics or flammable liquids can also be ignited, keep portable heaters at least several feet away from anything that can burn.

Air Conditioners

One of the last places you’d expect to start a fire is in you A/C unit. The National Fire Protection Association estimates that from 2005 through 2009, over 2,300 house fires were caused by air conditioning systems. Over this four-year period, only two people were killed by air conditioning fires, but 99 were wounded.  

Most air conditioning fires are caused by a short circuit in the wiring that causes the appliance to overheat and subsequently ignite. Portable air conditioning units are a greater fire risk than stationary units or central air.  The longer and harder the air conditioner continuously runs, the more likely it is to overheat or suffer a mechanical failure that ultimately causes a fire.

For Fire Damage Restoration In Billings

No matter the cause or severity of your fire, every minute that passes has the potential to cause more damage to your home.  It is so important that you choose a fire damage specialist capable of answering your emergency both quickly and proficiently. With Faithful Disaster Restoration’s 24 hour phone service you can get support immediately.

When you choose Faithful Disaster Restoration, you have a full service certified disaster recovery general contractor to help you through a complete fire damage restoration. With years of experience and training, they will restore as many of your belongings as possible and work closely with your insurance company.