Fire Damage Tips And Information

Kitchen fire in pot.

Fire related accidents are traumatic and oftentimes unexpected. Here in Billings, at Faithful Disaster Restoration, we understand the stress that accompanies fire disasters, and want to do our best to ease the burden of the cleanup and restoration process

How To Prevent Accidental Fires

  • FREQUENTLY remove lint from clothes dryer lint traps. When built up in a machine that uses an excessive amount of heat, it becomes a real fire hazard, as lint is extremely flammable
  • Never leave the stove unattended. It may seem harmless to walk away from something cooking on the stove, but the risk is never worth the possibility of losing your home and putting your family in danger. 
  • Check electrical cables. Check around for cables that are fraying, and replace the ones that are. Do not overload your circuits. Be sure to not cover electrical sources with rugs, curtains, or other flammable materials. 
  • Keep cigarettes away from flammable items. Cigarettes are the number 1 cause of fire related accidents. Ashes from the cigarettes fall into chairs and couches, as well as beds. Don’t smoke in bed or around items that burn easily. 1,000 people die a year from carelessly disposing of their cigarettes. 
  • Test smoke alarms monthly. Be sure your smoke detector is in working order every month. Having a faulty smoke detector is a sure way of inviting a disaster to occur. 
  • Distinguish candles before leaving or retiring to bed. Never leave candles burning unattended! This is especially important when children are present. Do not burn candles where children can reach them, or on surfaces that can be jostled or bumped by children. 

What To Do In A Kitchen Fire

In the case of a kitchen fire, it is important to know that there are different types of fires, and different methods of extinguishing them! One of the most common types of kitchen fire is a grease fire. This kind of fire occurs when oil gets so hot that it begins to burn and actually fully ignites. 

  • First, attempt to turn the heat source off. 
  • Never throw water on the flame! Water and oil do not mix. Throwing water on the flame will splash grease around, and spread the fire. 
  • Cover the flame with a damp towel. 
  • Place a lid over the fire, if the circumstance allows. This cuts off the fire’s main fuel source, which is oxygen. 
  • Pour baking soda on the flame. This will also distinguish it. 

Dangers Of DIY Fire Damage Restoration

Never attempt to clean up fire damage on your own. Always contact a professional to come and assess the damage. Ask about services like: structural cleaning, storing of personal belongings, smoke and odor removal, among many others. It is commonly essential for structures to be boarded up to prevent unwanted visitors and further damage that could occur from weather.

Professional Fire Damage Restoration In Billings

Always contact a fire damage restoration professional who has the necessary equipment to restore, clean, deodorize, like those at Faithful Disaster Restoration, and help you remain at ease and cope with the situation at hand.